Child Support Modifications

By Fred Dunsing on January 12, 2020

Papers for a child support court hearingAfter an agreement to pay child support has been made, it can be altered later on based on a number of factors. The amount provided in child support can go up or go down. This can be negotiated between former spouses, agreed upon through the use of a mediator, or decided by a judge. Reaching a new child support amount can be easier said than done, which is they our family law firm serving Denver, Avon, and Vail Valley, CO is here to help.

Let’s go over some of the basics when it comes to modifying child support amounts and reaching an agreement between parents. Family law attorneys Fred A. Dunsing, Lucy H. Deakins, and Joseph W. Galera can discuss this topic with you in more detail during a legal consultation.

Reasons for Modifying Child Support Amounts

There are many reasons why a child support modification may be needed. Some common reasons for modifying child support include:

  • Being laid off from a job
  • Getting a new job that pays better
  • Loss of income
  • Receiving an inheritance
  • Receiving a grant or other income
  • Medical emergency and the cost of medical care
  • Inability to earn income due to disability

In essence, any drastic change in your income or your spouse’s income could be a reason to request more child support or reduce the amount of child support. There are some cases in which the income change is substantial enough to eliminate the need for child support entirely.

Ways of Changing Child Support Payment Amounts

We alluded to it above, but let’s delve into the ways that child support modifications can be reached. Whatever method you choose, the final decision for child support modifications must be approved by the court.

Mutual Agreement by Former Spouses

In amicable splits, former spouses may be able to agree to a change in child support that each parent finds fair. This keeps the legal costs down and avoids a court battle.

Negotiation Through Attorneys

When a change to child support cannot be reached between parents, they can try to negotiate modification through their lawyers. Sometimes a professional exchange is all it takes to reach an agreement when one could not be agreed upon initially.

Compromise Through a Mediator

A third-party can help mediate between parents to arrive at a mutually acceptable change to child support. The goal of the mediator is to reach a fair compromise that each parent can accept for the good of their child or children.

Decision by a Judge

If all other methods fail, parents can go to court. A judge will hear the respective cases and determine the ideal course based on the best interests of the child and the realities of each parent’s current situation.

How Our Family Law Attorneys Can Help

Even if you have a good relationship with your former spouse, it can be difficult to make changes to child support and spousal support. Working with an attorney will help with the negotiating process. Having a skilled family law attorney can keep the proceedings cordial, especially given how emotions can be tense over these sorts of matters.

Contact Dunsing, Deakins & Galera, LLC

If you would like to learn more about child support and other matters related to your finances after a divorce, we encourage you to contact our team of family law attorneys. You can reach our law firm in Denver by calling (303) 758-8981, and our location in Avon by calling (970) 343-0023.

Related to This

MessageOur Staff

Facing the court system in America can be a daunting task for anyone, especially those who are innocent of crimes that they have nevertheless been accused of. Mr. Galera is more than worth the cost of his services. I simply could not recommend any other defense attorney. Seriously, call these folks! - Satisfied Client

VisitOur Offices

We have 2 locations in Colorado

View Locations

Icon Sprite Social Accounts Sprite

Denver Office

1776 S Jackson St
Ste 1107
Denver, CO 80210

And by Appointment

More Info Directions (303) 758-8981

Avon Office

70 Benchmark Rd
Ste 207
Avon, CO 81620

And by Appoitment

More Info Directions (970) 343-0023